Sunday, June 28, 2009

Underwear Affair

I recently had the opportunity to volunteer my Chiropractic/ART services on site at the Underwear Affair in Calgary. This event is a fun 5K walk and 10K run that raises funds for cancers below the waist such as; prostate, cervical, colerectal, and testicular. These are cancers that are often seen as being a bit dodgy and don't really get the exposure and funding they deserve.

The event seemed like one big party, with people from all walks of life and athletic abilities. The costumes were and after party were a fun way of celebrating a cause that can be heart breaking. Throughout the evening I had the opportunity of speaking and treating various individuals and learning about how their lives were affected by cancers below the waist. I spoke to a fellow health care provider who was participating in this event because he had lost both his parents to cancer. There was 1,240 people who participated and they raised an amazing $850, 000 for the Tom Baker Center. I felt fortunate to have the opportunity to volunteer my services for such a good cause.



Dr. Tarveen

2 comments:

rogerinflorida said...

Great post! I just followed you on Twitter too.

Thanks again
Roger Fulford
www.vitafit.me

Simon said...

Excellent Post T. Nice to hear people helping to fight a cause.